Every employee of Stockbridge Munsee Community is expected to present themselves in a professional manner to customers as well as other departments. Stockbridge Munsee Community strives to provide a provide a positive team environment where everyone contributes.
Under the direction of the Ecology Department Manager, this position is responsible for assisting in the collection, recording, and editing of data pertaining to fish and wildlife species on tribal lands. An extensive amount of field time is required with this position and employee may be exposed to adverse weather conditions and terrain, pesticides, biting insects, etc. This is a 40 hour per week, 10 week position during the summer of 2017. Start date is negotiable.
All employees of Stockbridge Munsee Community must meet the following qualification:
- Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug and health screening.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, unless otherwise stated on job description
- Must maintain an acceptable departmental attendance record
- Must be able to work weekends, nights and holidays.
- Use a variety of sampling techniques (visual encounter surveys, auditory surveys, egg mass surveys, etc.) to survey for fauna on tribal lands.
- Required to record very detailed data in the field.
- Assist with habitat restoration projects.
- Conduct flora inventory on potential and completed restoration sites.
- Assist with invasive species treatment and monitoring.
- Must maintain an acceptable departmental attendance record.
- Must be reliable and prompt when reporting to work.
- Required to attend job related, in-service, meetings, and training to maintain professional and technical knowledge.
- Must adhere to tribal law and other applicable laws as well as tribal personnel policies and procedures.
- May be required to satisfactorily complete an exam or other testing requirement(s) to determine skill proficiency.
- The above duties and responsibilities are not an all inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or deemed necessary by the supervisor.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Applicants must be enrolled in undergraduate or associate level coursework in wildlife ecology or a closely related field.
- Strong ability to identify local flora and fauna.
- Ability to complete tasks effectively and efficiently when unsupervised.
- Ability to read maps, as well as use compass.
- Ability to safely operate 4-wheel drive pick-ups, chainsaws, and ATVs.
- Experience with GPS equipment, GIS software, and basic computer programs are preferred.
- Access to a mobile phone is preferred.
- Properly licensed to operate a motor vehicle to access daily work areas.
- Physical requirements: The work is partially sedentary with prolonged standing, walking, and bending often required. Heavy items (e.g. packs and equipment up to 50 pounds) must be lifted and carried on a routine basis.
- Hours worked are flexible, but not to exceed 40 hours a week.
- Must pass pre-employment drug and health screening. Must adhere to the Tribe’s Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy during the course of employment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and insurance are required. Must obtain a Wisconsin driver’s license within 30 days of employment if applicant
has an out-of-state driver’s license. Must meet and maintain the eligibility to operate a personal or tribal vehicle under the driver acceptability guidelines as established by Mohican Nation Insurance.
- Must be able to meet physical requirements of position.
- Must be eligible for coverage under the employer’s liability insurance.
- Must have demonstrated ability to maintain satisfactory working record in any prior or current employment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- This position requires a lot of sitting with occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, and lift and/or move up to twenty-five (50) pounds
- Evening and/or weekend is required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
- Work environment requires excellent personal hygiene due to working in close proximity to others and in an enclosed area.
- A Tuberculosis (TB) Screening and/or TB Skin Test may be required.