Patient Preparation for Treatment
1. Greets patients and seats in treatment area.
2. Records reported changes in medical history, allergies and current medications in EDR.
3. Takes blood pressure and records it in EDR.
4. Secures signed patient consent forms as needed.
5. Enters appropriate appointment, pretreatment procedure and assessment codes in EDR.
1. Retraction and suction.
2. Recording and examination and treatment information as relayed by Dentist.
3. Sets out and organizes necessary dental instruments and materials for indicated procedure.
4. Prepares dental materials for procedures including: cements, bases, restorative materials, and irrigation.
5. Provides fourhanded assistance to the dentist in all treatment procedures.
6. Exposes digital X-rays when needed.
Releases Patients from Treatment
1. Rinses oral cavity and removes all debris.
2. Relays to patient instructions from dentist for all types of post-treatment care, including specialized instructions for post-surgery patients.
3. Release patient from chair and escort to receptionist.
Performs the Infection Control Procedures of the Dental Department to Include but not Limited to:
1. Disinfecting the operatory after each patient.
2. Cleaning, lubricating, and sterilizing hand pieces.
3. Sterilizing and properly storing all dental instruments and materials. Also to maintain sterilization logs.
4. To clean traps and suction.
5. To change solutions and clean and maintain the ultrasonic cleanerand autoclave.
6. To clean Lab, impression trays, model trimmer, lathe, model vibrator, and other misc. items.
Manages the supply and equipment purchases and maintenance.
Maintains vendor lists and necessary contacts/contracts for utilizing VA contract pricing.
While staying within a monthly budget, consolidate staff purchase requests to produce individual vendor orders.
Prepare monthly purchase requisitions and submit for purchase orders
Reconcile all vendor invoices for payment, make copies of supporting documentation, and submit for payment
Maintain supply purchase and delivery records, laboratory fees/invoices, equipment purchases, and warranty records
Reconcile laboratory invoices and submit for payment.
Manage and maintain equipment repairs and maintenance
Follow up with periodic equipment maintenance schedules
Collect bids for equipment purchases.
Places matrix bands and wedges when required,
Electronic Dental records (EDR)
Prior to patient arrival
· Chart existing and treatment planned restorations, perio charting, medical alerts, health history and conditions in electronic dental record of every patient
· Review prior progress notes or treatment plan icon to determine appointment set up needs
During patient visit
· Update health histories, recording changes in medications, allergy and health status. Take and record blood pressures on every patient over 18 years of age. Create patient alert for all patients requiring them
· Record dentist’s treatment plan, perio charting, purpose of visit, diabetic status, visit status, blood pressures.
· Monitor and communicate schedule needs. Alert dentists when patients are ready
· Utilize functions of EDR for identifying future scheduled appointments as well as patient education.
Assist front desk staff as the need arises
Schedule appointments if front desk in unavailable
1. Pours, trims, and labels models.
2. Constructs custom impression trays.
3. Constructs splints and soft mouthguards.
4. Prepares and packages cases to be sent to Dental Labs.
5. Checks in returning lab cases, puts them away and reports them to the appropriate Doctor
Exposes and develops Intra and Extra Oral Digital Radiographs
1. Instructs a patient in preventive dental care: demonstrates brushing and flossing techniques use of disclosing tablets, and care of prosthodontic appliances.
2. Explains the common causes of decay and its relationship to general diet.
3. Assists the dentist in performance of oral health education programs in the dental office school and community.
4. Performs child and adult prophylaxis to include topical fluoride application.
Placement of dental materials in the mouth and other intraoral procedures not involving the cutting of tissue, under immediate supervision of the dentist such as
1. Applies rubberdam and/or places cotton rolls to isolate operative site.
2. Taking diagnostic impressions modifies trays as needed.
3. Fabricate and cement temporary crowns
4. Must be reliable and prompt when reporting to work.
5. Required to attend job related, in-service, meetings, and training to maintain professional and technical knowledge.
6. Must adhere to tribal law and other applicable laws as well as tribal personnel policies and procedures.
7. May be required to satisfactorily complete an exam or other testing requirement(s) to determine skill proficiency.
8. The above duties and responsibilities are not an all inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position.