The Stockbridge-Munsee Head Start Program promotes the school readiness of children age 3 to 5-year old from income eligible families. Head Start must reserve slots for to ensure children with disabilities receive services. Currently, the program is funded to serve 20 children.
The Stockbridge-Munsee Head Start program supports the growth and development in the five essential domains of the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework including:
- Cognition and General Knowledge;
- Social-Emotional Skills;
- Physical Development and Health; and
- Language and Literacy Skills.
All services are provided in a child-friendly learning environment.
In addition to education services, the program provides children and their families with health, nutrition, social, transition, and other services. Head Start services are responsive to each child and family's ethnic, cultural, and linguistic heritage.
Head Start encourages the role of parents as their child's first and most important teachers. The program builds relationships with families that support positive parent-child relationships, family well-being, and connections to peers and community.
Head Start, parents, and schools work together to promote school readiness and engage families as their children get ready for kindergarten and as schools get ready for new children.
School Readiness Action Steps help to guide planning so that time and effort are well spent in helping children make progress toward school readiness and individual goals.
The following four school readiness action steps are designed to ensure Head Start relies on a high-quality system of learning that prepares children for school success:
- Establish Goals for Improving School Readiness across Domains;
- Create and Implement an Action Plan for Achieving Established School Readiness Goals;
- Assess Child Progress on an Ongoing Basis and Aggregate and Analyze Data at Multiple Times throughout the School Year; and
- Examine Data for Patterns of Progress for Groups of Children to Revise, Develop, and Implement Plans for Program Improvement
The Head Start team brings the Head Start mission to life. It is our team who turn the four walls of the Head Start Center into an environment where inspiration and imagination thrive. Each day, the team molds young minds and teaches families to fan the ember of inquisitiveness into a flame of lifelong learning.